A strikingly modern 3600 sq. ft. four-bedroom self-build on Cliff Road in Hythe, one of the country’s historic Cinque Ports, has used Marmox Multiboards as part of its cladding solution, around both the inside of an elevated balcony terrace, as well as across the main entrance elevation. The property was constructed for Gerald Glover using a high performance SIP system to create a series of rectangular elements, stepping down the steeply sloping site; with natural, multicolour slate split face slips, other cladding materials surrounding the runs of triple glazing.
Gerald commented: “We originally gained planning permission in 2015 and spent a lengthy period in consultation with our engineer, specialist piling company GeMech and Mather & Smith Steelworks in regards to the topography of the site, it’s stability and the best and most economical way to achieve a supporting above ground structure of the OSB faced SIPS panels to work off.
We didn’t want the building to look ultra-modern in the setting so chose a mix of exterior finishes, including multi-coloured stone slips from Marble Mosaics and the dark coloured Rockpanel Uni cladding panels which surround the main balcony. With the guidance of our consultant, OSG Architecture, we started searching for a cement particle or other suitable substrate board, before coming across Marmox Multiboard.”
• Following consultations with the Marmox technical sales team, the client opted to use 12.5mm thick Multiboards, together with Marmox 360 adhesive, jointing tape and special metal washers which combine with the fixing screws
• Externally the Multiboards were fixed over a breathable membrane and timber battens at 300 mm centres with the use of the special Marmox sealant, jointing tape and washers ensuring the creation of a watertight surface
• “Given the elevated coastal position the boards had to be fully waterproof, while we also needed them to comply with fire regulations for exterior cladding use, but the lightness of Multiboard – enabling you to install large sections without difficulty – as well as the ease of cutting and fixing, were all additional attractions.
We plan to use up the boards we have left over for fitting out the four en-suites, wherever there are areas of tiling or wet room situations.
Multiboard is a very versatile product.”
Client: Gerald Glover
Marmox System Solution
Multiboard can be used for internal and external applications
Multiboard Key Benefits:
• Fully waterproof
• High insulation
• Lightweight, easy handling
• Easy to fit and cut
• Ready to tile or plaster
• Loading capacity exceeds 100kg/m2
• Quick & easy installation
• No tanking membrane required
• Effective Decoupling
• Marmox Lifetime Guarantee