Set to be the biggest event in its history, Healthcare Estates takes place in October at Manchester Central, with an expected 240+ exhibitors and over 4,500 attendees. This year the event has the themes of ‘Fund, Design, Build, Manage & Maintain,’ and new for 2019 it is hosting the IFHE (Europe), and including content to attract an international delegate base
Healthcare Estates’ busy visitors and delegates set aside valuable time to find solutions to the challenges they face on a daily basis, and keep up to date with the latest product innovations. This year’s conference programme has something for everyone. With the show hosting the International Federation of Hospital Engineering, experts on healthcare estate management, healthcare engineering, and the healthcare architecture and construction supply chain from all over the world will speak both at the conference itself, and during a dedicated afternoon session in the new Plenary theatre.
Streams & keynotes
The annual conference will have four streams – Strategy and Leadership, Engineering and Facilities Management, Planning, Design and Construction, and Innovation. The exhibition and conference also have a new look, with a Plenary Theatre in the exhibition hall, where keynote presentations will be given at the start of each day. The keynote sessions are free to attend for delegates, exhibitors, ‘VIPs’, speakers, and apprentices.
This year’s keynote speakers are:
- 8 October – Simon Corben, director and head of profession, NHS Estates and Facilities, NHS Improvement, and Alasdair Coates, CEO of the Engineering Council.
- 9 October – Professor Michail Kagioglou, Dean of the University of Huddersfield, and Alan Sharp, CEO at the Mater Hospital in Dublin. The ‘motivational speaker’ will be Sally Becker, the ‘Angel of Mostar’.
The conference is the paid for element of the event, which entitles you free access to all sessions including the exhibition and theatre sessions. With this year’s Healthcare Estates event hosting the IFHE, the afternoon of 9th October will feature – in a dedicated session in the Plenary theatre – international case studies and content from the US, the Falkland Islands, Germany, and Ireland, covering exemplars in hospital design, energy saving, and facilities management.
Seven exhibition theatres will give visitors plenty of opportunity to catch up on the latest products, regulations, and best practice. The exhibition and theatres are free to attend as a visitor (however, visitors do not have access to the conference which is paid for).
The theatres are:
- Design and Construction Zone – featuring the latest project case studies, and findings from post-occupancy evaluation, sharing best practice in exemplar design and construction.
- HVAC & Engineering Theatre – sponsored by SolXEnergy.
- Water & Infection Control Zone – run by The Water Management Society.
- Apprentice Zone – The Troup Bywaters +Anders (TB+A) team will discuss their experiences with apprentices, with past apprentices available to give advice and perspectives.
- Energy and Sustainability Zone – content delivered by the Carbon and Energy Fund, showcasing the latest techniques and innovation to reduce the service’s carbon footprint.
- Facilities Management Zone – focusing on issues that ‘hard’ and ‘soft’ FM teams face day to day.
- Fire and Security Zone – presenting and promoting “the latest solutions to fire safety needs”. Speakers from a wide variety of fire and security companies and associations with first-hand experience tackling fire safety issues within healthcare estates.
The Healthcare Estates IHEEM Awards Dinner takes place on 8 October at The Principal Manchester. The after-dinner speaker is Peter McDonald, a former consultant general surgeon at Northwick Park and St. Mark’s who will give a glimpse into both the lighter, and occasionally the more serious, side of his surgical work.
The award categories are:
- New Build Project of the Year, sponsor: Bender.
- Refurbishment Project of the Year, sponsor: engie.
- Product Innovation, sponsor: SPIE.
- Architectural Practice of the Year, sponsor: Rockfon.
- Apprentice of the Year, sponsor: Troup Bywaters+Anders • Sustainable Achievement, sponsor: bam.
- Estates and Facilities Team, sponsor: HEJ. • Consultancy of the Year, sponsor: Styles & Wood.
- IHEEM Lifetime Achievement Award, sponsor: IHEEM.
Visit the website www.healthcare-estates.com for the full shortlist as well as the full conference programme.