In respect of the overall energy efficiency of new buildings, the Approved Document Part L1A and L2A and further BS regulations are becoming more and more stringent. As a result, thermal bridges are becoming an increasingly sensitive area and to meet the specific needs of architects and energy assessors Schöck has launched an internet-based system for real-time calculation of various thermal technology criteria at www.psi.schoeck.co.uk. The calculator enables substantiated thermal bridge analysis in just five simple steps and it can be printed out immediately.
Based on the construction details, the new thermal bridge calculator computes two-dimensional heat flows, isothermals, temperature factors, surface temperatures and psi values (ψ values). The calculation results provide all the information needed to produce a detailed thermal bridge analysis and the results log contains all relevant properties and notes relating to the building structure. For example, it reveals whether the building structure is at risk and whether mould and condensation prevention has been adequately considered. If all minimum requirements are met, planners are automatically provided with proof of compliance with the minimum thermal insulation requirements of Approved Document Part L1A, L2A, BS EN 6946 and BS 5250.
Because the simulation program developed in collaboration with Syscon Informatik and Sommer Informatik is internet-based, there is no need for software updates and downloads. Users always work with the latest version. The program runs on any end appliance, irrespective of the operating system.
The psi value in five easy steps…
- Enter the as-is situation of the balcony connection (e.g.; freely projecting, supported, with height offset)
- Determine the planned wall structure (monolithic wall structure or classic thermal insulation composite system)
- Specify the structure of the individual components for the wall, floor and balcony slab
- Select the matching type of Schöck Isokorb and load-bearing capacity, together with the required insulation material thickness
- Based on the input, the result is calculated and a log produced. A three-minute tutorial explains the use and functions of the program and information ‘help’ boxes simplify individual steps.