The Institution of Structural Engineers has unveiled a new campaign designed to help UK homeowners decide if, how and when to employ a structural engineer in their home improvement projects. Building Confidence is packed with useful, clear information for any homeowner who is unsure about the role of a structural engineer.
Whether planning alterations, carrying out a survey, or just worried about cracks in a wall, structural engineers can ensure works are safe, efficient and comply with building regulations. Most of all, structural engineers can devise simple, cost-effective solutions for home projects.
Building Confidence helps to explain:
- Who structural engineers are and what they do
- If and when a structural engineer is essential to a domestic project
- How consulting a structural engineer at the start of a project could save money in the long run
- How an engineer ensures works are safe and efficient and comply with building regulations
- Why a chartered structural engineer can devise simple, cost-effective solutions for home projects
Building Confidence offers:
- A free downloadable guide for homeowners
- Videos featuring chartered structural engineer, Simon Pitchers, outlining the key points homeowners should consider when employing a structural engineer
- The Findanengineer service, which allows users to locate a local engineer who is a member of the Institution of Structural Engineers
Tina Cardy, Director of Communications at the Institution of Structural Engineers, said:
“As the world’s leading membership body of structural engineers, we’re delighted to launch Building Confidence, an invaluable resource for anyone who is unsure about the role of structural engineers in home improvement projects.
“Understandably many people in the UK remain uncertain when an engineer’s input is necessary to their project, or how an engineer works alongside architects, surveyors and tradesmen. Building Confidence should really help address the issue, helping to ensure UK home projects are safer and more secure, and spreading the word about the vital contribution made by structural engineers to public safety, in the UK and around the world.”
The Institution of Structural Engineers is the world’s largest membership organisation dedicated to the art and science of structural engineering. It is a leading source of expertise on all structural engineering and public safety issues in the built environment.