Funding released to remove high-rise cladding

An estimated £400m to remove and replace unsafe aluminium composite material (ACM) cladding systems on social sector high-rise housing has been released by the Government.

In total, 12 local authorities and 31 housing associations in England have been told that they have been allocated money in order to remove and replace unsafe ACM cladding on social buildings which are 18 metres or higher.

According to Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government figures, over 75 per cent of social housing buildings with unsafe ACM cladding have completed remediation, or are currently removing and replacing the cladding, plans are in place for the remaining 25 per cent.

Secretary of State for Communities, James Brokenshire explained:

“We are doing the right thing by residents and fully funding the replacement of unsafe ACM cladding in social housing buildings 18 metres or above.”

As to the private sector, he praised some housebuilders approach to the removal of ACM, while criticising schemes that would put costs on residents:

“I want to see landlords protect leaseholders from these costs. I am pleased that a number have stepped forward to do so, including Barratt Developments, Legal & General, Taylor Wimpey, Mace and Peabody. However, there are some who are not engaging in this process. If they don’t, I have ruled nothing out.”