RIBA South West today announced a shortlist of sixteen new and exciting buildings for the RIBA Awards in the region.
Having shortlisted from forty nine entries, over the coming weeks the RIBA judging panel will be visiting a range of high quality buildings right across the South West; from the UK’s newest motorway services at Gloucester to the Plymouth School of Creative Arts, and a trio of buildings at Arts University Bournemouth.
As well as the prestigious Building of the Year Award, which in 2015 was picked up by South Quay Hayle in Cornwall, the shortlist will also produce a number of other category winners including Client of the Year and Project Architect of the Year. Five projects are by practices from the South West including young RIBA Chartered Practice Hilton Barnfield from Exeter, as well as established Feilden Clegg Bradley Studios and Mitchell Eley Gould from Bath, and Cornwall’s Arco2 Architecture.
The winners will be announced at an evening event on the Grand Pier at Weston-super-Mare on 29 April hosted by Michael Holmes, Content Director for Centaur Media, TV presenter and chair of the National Custom and Self-build Association. Details of how to book tickets will be announced soon.
RIBA South West regional director Jon Watkins said:
“RIBA Awards always bring out the best in local and national architects across our vast region, and this year’s shortlist offers quality, diversity of type and scale, excellence in design, and lots of delight.”
RIBA South West Awards shortlist:
- Bristol Life Sciences, University of Bristol, by Sheppard Robson
- Plymouth School of Creative Arts, by Feilden Clegg Bradley Studios
- Kingswood Classrooms, Bath, by Mitchell Eley Gould
- The Outside In House, Exeter, by Hilton Barnfield Architects
- The Owers House, Cornwall, by John Pardey Architects
- Drawing Studio, Arts University Bournemouth, by CRAB Studio
- Photography Building, Arts University Bournemouth, by Design Engine Architects
- Student Services Building, Arts University Bournemouth, by Design Engine Architects
- Beaudesert Park School Performing Arts Centre, Gloucestershire, by MEB Design Ltd
- Bridport Household Recycling Centre, Dorset, by Mitchell Eley Gould
- Ansty Plum, Dorset, by Coppin Dockray
- Gloucester Services, by Glenn Howells Architects
- Outhouse, Gloucestershire by Loyn & Co.
- Blackrock Quarry Training Centre, nr Bristol, by Haverstock
- Hanham Hall, Bristol, by HTA Design LLP
- Sand Dunes, Newquay, by Arco2 Architecture Ltd